Saturday, August 2, 2008

Snippets: When God's plan is greater than Man's

"人算不如天算" (ren suan bu ru tian suan, it means man's calculation can never be more accurate than God's).

I used to work for a UK public listed company for 4 years. I was allocated GBP9000 worth of share option at the price of GBP1.79 which is due for exercise on August 2008. This translates to 5028 shares.

When I decided to leave my ex-company, the share price was at the height of GBP3.42, it was just 8 months before I could exercise my options. I will not get anything from share options if I leave the company anytime before the exercise date. My potential loss would be (5028 X GBP (3.42-1.79)) = GBP 8195.76 or RM57,534 (GBP/RM was 7.03 at that time). Enough to buy a brand new Waja.

It was a tough decision to make. Though I knew it was only a potential figure, it was something hard for me to part with. Something which I deserved having if I fulfilled my employment duty for another 8 months. I left in the end.

The news broke out on 31st July 2008 and the latest share price was GBP1.71, 8 pence lesser than the option price. What can I say?

No comments: